Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Manager
At Saab in West Lafayette, Indiana, you have the opportunity to join a team that will manufacture the rear section of the T-7A Red Hawk military trainer aircraft for the United States Air Force. When at full capacity by 2027, Saab will employ over 300 employees in the West Lafayette facility in management, administration, and manufacturing. The new flagship facility will utilize advanced manufacturing techniques and leverage research and development to support Saab’s broad product portfolio. In the U.S., Saab also offers job opportunities in Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C. and our headquarters in Syracuse, New York. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
As Saab is building a new operation in West Lafayette, IN, we are seeking an EHS Manager to lead the world-class performance of the Environmental Health and Safety function. The ideal candidate has strong leadership skills, and the ability to see opportunities and significant experience creating and delivering integrated strategies in Greenfield operations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Deliver the vision, creation, and maintenance of the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Program for this new site.
- Effectively transform safety and environmental policy into implementation of standards and work procedures delivering an accident free work environment.
- Drive a culture of continual process improvement through analysis and audit of high-risk areas and implementation and ownership of Key Performance Metrics throughout the operations.
- Lead compliance of State, Federal, and local safety regulations and assist in design and startup of a Greenfield operation.
- Develop and deliver necessary compliance and educational training material to advance the development of the entire workforce encouraging active participation and feedback from all levels of the organization
- Lead accident investigations, prepare reports, and assist in initial Workers Compensation functions.
- Develop and deliver a sustainability plan that promotes a zero waste to landfill strategy in alignment with our core values.
- Partner with operations and engineering to deliver ergonomic improvements and behavior analysis to ensure the methods of working are best in industry.
- Be an ambassador for Saab both with co-workers and with suppliers.
- Deliver a people-first culture in alignment to Saab leadership vision.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Management, Heath, or similar field required.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) a plus.
- MBA, M.Sc. or an equivalent documented education a plus.
- 10+ years of relevant EHS experience.
- 5+ years of industrial safety experience leading a large scale operation.
- Track record of effectively leading safety programs in the aerospace industry or Greenfield operations a plus.
- Subject matter expert on Environmental Health and Safety policy including OSHA, State and Federal Regulation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with team building experience working in an international environment.
- Ability to effectively define problems, collect facts, analyze solutions, drive and lead change.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.