The Payroll/Benefits Specialist is responsible for is responsible for coordinating the administration of the payroll and benefits programs. This includes semi-monthly payroll processing, balancing GL’s, HRIS system administration, reporting, benefits enrollments, bill paying, compliance and file maintenance.
*Employees are expected to adhere to all rules and regulations applicable to this position, including but not limited to all policies and procedures pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Process semi-monthly payroll and complete all corresponding reports.
- Audit time and attendance system for integrity.
- Process all employee changes.
- Process garnishments for child support orders, tax levies, quarterly tax verifications, third party sick pay.
- Process 1095C’s for all employees in accordance with ACA compliance.
- Complete month end closing journal entries for 401k and payroll.
- Serve as primary contact for payroll related vendors.
- Serve as primary contact in the payroll audit process.
- Administers health and welfare plans including enrollments and terminations.
- Hold monthly and annual benefits enrollment and seminars.
- Research benefits claims for employees; serve as healthcare benefits liaison for employees when managing healthcare issues.
- Process required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
- Serve as primary contact in the benefit audit process.
- Coordinate Company Store.
- Comply with records retention standards.
- Create reports, i.e. Turnover, QSS, Budget, New Employee Eligibility, Compensation, etc.
- Balance General Ledger accounts and pay bills.
- Server as Administrator for FMLA/ADAWC/FLSA/UC/COBRA/401k.
- Administer termination process i.e., benefit cancellation, pension distribution
- Coordinate employee fundraising efforts.
- Coordinate and support employee engagement activities and functions initiated by HR and Training.
- Attend appropriate meetings and serve on teams as requested.
- Keep current with trends and developments related to essential job competencies, and demonstrate continued growth individually and within a team.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources management, Business or related field preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of recent, direct and comprehensive payroll administration experience required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in benefits administration required.
- Experience in accounts payable, accounts receivable and/or accounting analysis preferred.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) Certification or Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM-CP) Certification preferred.
- Must have exceptional communication and negotiation skills and an eye for detail.
- Skills in MS Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, in a professional manner when dealing with employees, members, vendors and company contacts
- Ability to follow the core values of honesty, integrity, mutual respect, pride and ownership
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- This position requires manual dexterity, the ability to lift files and open filing cabinets
- This position requires sitting, bending, stooping or standing as necessary
Purdue Federal Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran