SUMMARY: Draft and design various land development projects from conception to final construction documents, including creating, updating, and modifying construction plans, boundary surveys, and landscape plans using Civil 3D or similar programs for commercial, municipal, residential, and agricultural projects.
REPORTS TO: Director of Engineering
REPORTS TO: Director of Engineering
- Utilize Civil 3D and various other software programs to prepare data, charts, plots, maps and plans.
- Create plans and detailed drawings for construction project site design, boundary surveys, and landscape plans.
- Draw maps, diagrams ad profiles using cross-sections and surveys to represent elevations, topographical contours, subsurface formations, and structures.
- Review rough sketches, drawings, specifications and other data received by civil engineer and other sources to ensure they conform to design concepts.
- Collaborate with engineers, surveyors, support staff, clients, and others concerned with projects.
- Compute geomatic measurements and interpret survey data to determine positions, shapes, and elevations of topographic features and land improvements.
- Perform in-house research to reference previous work for current projects.
- Attend required training, conferences and/or seminar as required.
- Always maintain good client relations in a professional manner.
- Meet deadlines and budgetary goals as described in the scope of the contract or so directed.
- Deliver submissions to respective compliance agencies, contractors and clients.
- Train entry-level drafting technicians as needed.
- Always comply with safety practices and procedures.
- Assist with cleanliness of office, scanning documents, and other duties as needed when billable hours are low.
- Answer the phones and take message as needed.
- Perform research within various municipalities as needed.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, looks for ways to improve and promote quality, provides feedback to improve performance, and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Number Facility – The ability to perform complex trigonometric, geometric and hydrologic calculations, calculous, statistics and their applications.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Interpersonal – Acts in a professional manner in relation to clients, co-workers, superiors, peers, consultants, agencies, and vendors. Aware of client needs, meeting quality standards and evaluation of client satisfaction.
- Communication- Effective listening, written and verbal skills to communicate as appropriate for the needs of engineering and surveying standards, business practices, and client needs.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities, exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views, contributes to building a positive team spirit and is able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Safety/Security – Observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of support staff to coordinate activities and meet deadlines.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals and completes tasks on time or proposes an alternate plan to the appropriate person.
- Ability to lift 10 - 20 lbs. occasionally as assigned workday.
- Ability to work outdoors in the extreme heat or cold as needed for site visits.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces as needed.
- Ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of observer).
- Ability to work for long periods of time on a computer.
- Associate degree in Drafting and Design Technology.
- Or combination of college credits and/or certifications, and work experience.
- Proficiency in Autodesk Civil 3D or related drafting program is required.
- Three to five-years’ experience as an upper-level civil drafting technician including site design is required.
- Proficient organization and time management skills.
- Proficient verbal, written, and electronic communication skills.